Veganize Me!

Join me on my quest to veganize myself and my favorite recipes!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I'm a vegetarian/wannabe vegan barista from Iowa. I spend a great deal of time cooking and reading about food and nutrition and hope to, someday, be a vegetarian chef!

March 06, 2006

Accidently Vegan Scotcheroos!

Before I went vegan, I bought some chocolate chips and butterscotch chips to make scotcheroos. And, being as cheap as I am, I bought off brands. So, the other day, I saw these half bags of baking chips in my cupboard and decided to make scotcheroos. I figured they wouldn't be vegan, but I wasn't going to throw away stuff because its not vegan. What good does that do for the suffering animals? Anyways, out of curiousity, I checked the ingredients. Both the chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips were vegan!!! Morel of the story: check the ingredients on off brand stuffs!
And here are my lovely (and yummy!) scotcheroos:


Wanna know how I made them!? Of course you do!

Scotcheroos
1/2 c. corn syrup
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. peanut butter
3 c. Rice Krispies
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. butterscotch chips

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter. Once the peanut butter is melted and mixed in well, stir in the Rice Krispies.
Press the mixture in a greased 9x9 pan.
Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together in the microwave. Have the microwave on 50-60% power and stir every minute. You don't want to burn the chocolate! Once it is all nicely melted and combine, spread over the bars.
Chill until firm. This will take about 15 minutes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

Yeah, a recipe for (vegan) Scotcheroos! They look yummy. I'm also a vegetarian wana-be vegan....so this one will come in handy for me.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

But remember that most chocolate and butterscotch chips are not vegan. I used cheap store brands. The chocolate chips were Hy-Vee brand (Hy-Vee is a grocery store chain in the midwest). And the butterscotch chips were Country Fare brand.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Adam Cerny said...

Amy - I am in love with this recipe! I'm currently living in the MidWest as well, so your clarification on the chocolate + butterscotch brands is helpful since I'm planning a quick trip to HyVee right now haha! I can't wait to try them! :-) Thanks for posting. - Adam xoxo

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home