Veganize Me!

Join me on my quest to veganize myself and my favorite recipes!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I'm a vegetarian/wannabe vegan barista from Iowa. I spend a great deal of time cooking and reading about food and nutrition and hope to, someday, be a vegetarian chef!

March 14, 2006

Pizza!


I was quite happy with how this pizza turned out! It looks good and tastes even better!
I used the pizza crust recipe from Passionate Vegetarian. I used 1/2 wheat flour, 1/2 white flour. I still have some dough leftover which I froze. I plan to make calzones next week.
I topped my pizza with roasted garlic, spinach and mushrooms. Up until recently, I have hated mushrooms! They are still not my favorite thing, but I'm trying to learn to like them more as so many vegan recipes (not to mention all the vegan options at restaurants!) rely on mushrooms. I have learned to like them raw and sometimes like them cooked. My dad told me that you want to cook them very little-they overcook easy. So I think maybe that was my problem before. Who knows? At any rate, I liked them on this pizza!
I used my new favorite soy cheese on this pizza: Vegan Gourmet! I've heard that its the best and have been wanting to try it forever, but could never find it. A while back I went to a different health food store than usual and they had it! I drizzled it with a bit of olive oil before baking, because I'd heard that helps it brown up nicely. Looks like that trick worked!
My roomate makes really good and simple pizza sauce. I stole her idea for this pizza. She spreads tomato paste on the pizza crust then sprinkles it with oragano, basil and a bit of garlic powder. She then tops the pizza. I like doing it this way for 3 reasons: (1) you don't dirty a bowl to mix the sauce in-less dishes! (2) its thicker so you don't get any sauce dripping/oozing out and burning your fingers and (3) it tastes good!

4 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

Hello there! It's Midweek Munchie Time! Hope your day is going well so far!

9:13 AM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Freaking yum. Did you drizzle the entire pizza or just the crust with olive oil? I've never heard of that and it's been ages since I made a pizza anyway.

11:53 AM  
Blogger sarchan said...

They way the "cheese" is melted that looks like its from Pizza Hut. I'll have to try that trick with the olive oil. I just had some hummus, but this is making me crave pizza.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I must have bought a ton of groceries last week or something, because I didn't need to go to the store this week. Or maybe its that I went out a lot. I dunno. Anyways, I'll find something to post for Midweek Munchies!
I drizzled the whole thing with olive oil-just a little bit. I heard it helped the cheese brown. I haven't tried it without olive oil, so I'm not sure if the olive oil helped or if it would have done that anyway.
Sarchan-you're making me crave hummus! lol!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home